NEGAUNEE, MI – 9/10/2014 –After rebounding well from their first loss of the season, the Negaunee Miners girls tennis team seems to be right back on track. This time, they headed to Kingford for a date with the Flivers. The singles team continued its dominance and the doubles teams continue to improve with each meet. Allison Carlson, Angie Ring, and Dana DeBretto (#1, 2, & 3 singles) all still have yet to lose a match this year, and #4 singles Allison Ring has only dropped one close match against a very talented Patriots team. Meanwhile, the doubles have gone from going 0-4 in the first meet of the season to consistently winning 3 or 4 matches per meet and looked poised for a late season push to the top.
The results for this meet are as follows:
- Allison Carlson (Neg) def. Janay Walters (King) 6-1, 6-1
- Angie Ring (Neg) def. Katy Hicks (King) 6-2, 6-0
- Dana DeBretto (Neg) def. Tori Walters (King) 6-1, 6-4
- Allison Ring (Neg) def. Noelle Smith (King) 6-0, 6-0
- Ali VanRemortel & Jaelyn Jennings (King) def. Hanna & Elly Kantola (Neg) 6-3, 6-2
- Kassy Haraila & Lauren Anderson (Neg) def. Anna Hornick & Mariana Bianco (King) 6-2, 6-4
- Megan Syrjala & Nicole Violetta (Neg) def. Sierra Strutz & Heather Harrison (King) 6-4, 6-1
- Katrina Turecky & Brooke Bossert (Neg) def. Tori Dal Santolo & Abby Person (King) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
While Kyle Saari was rocking some light blue down in Detroit for the Lions’ season opener, assistant coach Cody Scanlon was on scene to lead the Miners into Kingsford. He had this to say following another Miners win:
“Both teams played very hard. Great performance by the Miners in this one, especially #3 singles Dana DeBretto & the #3 doubles team of Megan [Syrjala] & Nicole [Violetta].”
The Miners next meet will be on Thursday, Sept. 11th in Negaunee. There was a meet scheduled for today (Wednesday, Sept. 10th), but it looks like the rain was victorious today. Be sure to keep coming back to keep up with all of your Negaunee Miners sporting action!
-Carl Leander Johnson
This meet was sponsored by the great folks over at Art Van Furniture of Marquette! Art Van Furniture is the Midwest’s #1 furniture retailer and a family-owned organization, headed by Founder and Chairman Mr. Art Van Elslander. With over 3,200 associates and 400 service and delivery vehicles, we’ve created an amazing company with a story to tell. The passion and dedication that launched this company continues today, and each year brings fresh innovation and growth. Through perseverance and business-savvy, our story is now over 50 years in the making. Art Van is honored to be apart of the Marquette area and its community, and that is why they sponsor great sporting teams like the Negaunee Miners! Go see them today, they’re located at 3105 U.S. 41 in Marquette.