MARQUETTE, MI – 9/6/2014 –Two days after dropping their first meet of the 2014 campaign season, the Negaunee Miners girls tennis team went into Marquette with something to prove to themselves. They rebounded wonderfully. In a very competitive meet, the Negaunee Miners were able to top the Marquette Redettes 8-0, winning every match. Although it wasn’t to the level of dominance we’ve seen from the Miners, I’m sure coach Kyle Saari will agree that a win is a win is a win. #1 Singles for Negaunee continued her impressive start to the season, picking up the win, but did drop her first set of the year. Angie Ring also continued her undefeated streak, putting up an overwhelming performance in #2 singles. The results are as follows:
- Allison Carlson (Neg) def. Maddie Cannon (Mqt) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
- Angie Ring (Neg) def. Eliza Annelin (Mqt) 6-0, 6-0
- Allison Ring (Neg) def. Taylor Swajenen (Mqt) 7-5, 6-0
- Dana DeBretto (Neg) def. Christina Nestor (Mqt) 6-0, 6-1
- Hanna & Elly Kantola (Neg) def. Amanda Gray & Jordan Berglund (Mqt) 6-2, 6-1
- Lauren Anderson & Kassy Harsila (Neg) def. Brenna LeFers & Aubrey Reynolds-Erspamer (Mqt) 6-2, 6-2
- Megan Syrjala & Nicole Violetta (Neg) def. Mallory Grugin & Hannah Swajenen (Mqt) 6-3, 6-2
- Katrina Turecky & Brooke Bossert (Neg) def. Sara Carter & Morgan Collins (Mqt) 7-5, 6-7 (2), 11-9
It was a very competitive meet today in Marquette. #1 Singles & #4 Doubles both went down to the third set, #4 doubles going all the way to the 20-game point! Allison Carlson, Angie Ring, & Dana DeBretto (#1, 2, & 4 respectively) all continued their undefeated seasons with wins on Friday, and #3 Allison Ring rebounded from her first loss of the year with a nice win over Taylor Swejenen.
In his post-meet statement, head coach Kyle Saari had this to say:
“We played well from top to bottom today and it was nice to pull out a few tight matches. This was probably the best our doubles played altogether. Allison Ring really battled in her first set and that carried into her second.”
We’re already nearing the halfway point of the season for the girls tennis team! With a record of 4-1-1, they looked prime for a run at the MPC championship this year. The next meet for the girls will be on Monday, September 8th @ 4pm in Negaunee. Head on up to the high school and check out the team along with the new playing facilities!
Be sure to keep up with all your Negaunee Miners action here with us at Sunny.FM!
-Carl Leander Johnson
This article was brought to you by North Country Disposal of Marquette. With a dedicated staff willing to go the extra mile to keep their customers happy, North Country Disposal is your perfect place for solid waste, septic waste, & recycling disposal needs. They’re happy to sit down and create a plan for you to do the job right. For fast & on time service, call North Country Disposal @ 249-4900….they’ll pick it up! Thank you for supporting the Negaunee Miners!