Home Local Schools Negaunee Miners Miners Comeback, Defeat Mountaineers 57-53

Miners Comeback, Defeat Mountaineers 57-53


Iron Mountain, MIMarch 3rd, 2022 – The Negaunee Miners boys basketball team concluded the regular season tonight, with a contest against the Iron Mountain Mountaineers, the second this season. The game was broadcasted on Sunny 101.9.

1Q: The last contest between these two teams came on January 25th, as the Mountaineers defeated the Miners 65-35. This game began with a very quick basket from the Mountaineers, as the Miners came up empty on their first offensive possession. The Mountaineers went on to score two more buckets, as one of them was from deep, the Miners quickly found themselves in a 7-0 rut. The Mountaineers then went on a little cold streak of their own as they didn’t score for the next few minutes, finally a tough floater was made, as the lead grew to nine. Gerald Johnson scored the first points for the Miners with just under 2:30 remaining in the opening quarter, he went 1-2 at the free throw line. Ty Jacobson buried a triple a few minutes later, but it was the Mountaineers with a 17-6 lead heading into the second quarter.

Negaunee Offense
Negaunee Offense

2Q: The Miners started the second quarter with fire, as they scored ten straight to cut the deficit to one. Mason Sager was the main culprit as he had six points, an assist and a steal in the offensive run. The Mountaineers were finally able to find a bucket as they went back to back on their next two possessions, the lead was back up to five with 5:35 remaining in the first half. The next several minutes was a back and forth affair by both teams. Ty Jacobson and Mason Sager had great quarters for the Miners as they were a big reason for the comeback, after two quarters of
play, the Miners trailed 29-23. 

3Q: Negaunee began the quarter with another bucket, as the Mountaineers turned the basketball over on their first offensive possession. Ty Jacobson buried a deep two to cut the deficit to two on the very next possession. The Mountaineers were able to connect on an old fashion three point play, as Gerald Johnson picked up his fourth foul and quickly went to the bench. Foul trouble continued for the Miners as Ty Jacobson picked up his third foul on the next defensive possession. After trailing by seventeen at one point in the first quarter, the Miners finally tied the ball game thanks to Brody Bell, even though both teams will not see each other in the post season, it certainly felt like a tournament game. With just under 3:00 remaining in the third quarter, the game was tied 36-36 after alternating buckets. Ty Jacobson had an opportunity to take the first lead of the game with two free throws, but missed both. A few defensive possessions later, Jacobson picked up his fourth foul of the game.
Meaning both Jacobson and Johnson would head into the fourth quarter with four fouls a piece. The quarter ended with a Mountaineer bucket, as they led 41-38 heading into the final quarter of regulation.

Game Sealing Free Throw
Mason Sager Game Sealing Free Throw

4Q: Jackson Gladwell buried a shot right out of the gates to cut the deficit to one for the Miners, but quickly the other way was the Mountaineers answering with a bucket of their own. Gladwell knocked down a pair of free throws on the next possession, but right back on the defensive end, Ty Jacobson’s night ended after his fifth foul. With 5:15 remaining in regulation, the game was once again tied 53-53. After a great defensive stop and ball save from Jackson Gladwell, Gerald Johnson was able to knock down a pair of free throws to take a two point lead. A few minutes later, the Mountaineers were able to take back a one point lead after a deep three. After a missed shot from the Miners, Iron Mountain was able to score another bucket, it was a three point game with 2:30 remaining. Negaunee answered back with four straight points to gain the lead once again. Every possession counted in the last few minutes and Gavin Downey made the defensive possession count with a blocked shot that led to two free throws on the other end. With just under 1:35 remaining, the Miners led by three. Iron Mountain, with just 1:00 left, missed their shot but the rebound was corralled by a Mountaineer as he was fouled, went to the line and was only able to make one. Gerald Johnson was fouled right away and was able to knock down both of his free throws. Negaunee led by four with just under :30 seconds left. Free throws continued to be crucial in the final seconds, as Iron Mountain was sent to the line, making both. On the other end, Gerald Johnson knocked down two clutch free throws. Iron Mountain was able to score on the other end to cut the deficit to two, but after fouling Mason Sager, he was able to knock down both of his free throws. After losing by thirty just a month ago, the Miners defeated the Mountaineers by a score of 57-53.

Jackson Gladwell won the Player of the Game

Final: Negaunee 57 Iron Mountain 53

The Negaunee Miners boys basketball team will begin the district tournament on Monday, March 7th when they hit the road to take on the Escanaba Eskymos. The ball will tip at 6 pm as you can hear the broadcast on Sunny 101.9.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here