NEGAUNEE, MI – 9/24/2014 – All season long you could sense it. The Miners & Patriots were on a crash course for the MPC title, and one was going to win it. That statement is wrong & right, as both teams came away with the MPC title. The Miners were able to capitalize on their singles success to walk away with three first place finishes and one second. Negaunee’s doubles also stepped up, taking a pair of seconds and third place finishes. For the rival Patriots, they were able to take advantage of their doubles depth, winning three first place matches and finishing second in the other. The results are as follows:
- Negaunee Miners & Westwood Patriots – 36 points
- Iron Mountain Mountaineers – 31 points
- Ishpeming Hematites – 16 points
- Gwinn Modeltowners – 9 points
SINGLES (Championship Matches [Champion & Runner Up)
- Allison Carlson (Neg) def. Katie Brule (IM) 6-2, 6-3
- Olivia Truscott (IM) def. Angie Ring (Neg) 6-3, 6-3
- Dana DeBretto (Neg) def. Rachel Anderson (WW) 0-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Allison Ring (Neg) def. Lauren Farley (WW) 6-1, 6-1
DOUBLES (Championship Matches [Champion & Runner Up)
- Kate & Emily Bugnil (IM) def. Katie Rankinen & Shana Caliguri (WW) 7-5, 6-3
- Faith Lenoy & Olivia Derocha (WW) def. Kathryn Brown & Hannah Hakamaki (IM) 6-1, 6-4
- Lacey Pietro & Jamee Ferris (WW) def. Megan Syrjala & Nicole Violetta (Neg) 6-3, 6-4
- Emily Carlson & Madysen Mattias (WW) def. Brooke Bossert & Katrina Turecky (Neg) 6-4, 6-4
Congratulations to Allison Carlson, Dana DeBretto, & Allison Ring on taking first, and to Angie Ring on a hard fought second place finish. Allison & Dana in particular, continue to remain undefeated with only one tournament left: The UP Finals in Kingsford.
For the doubles teams, they didn’t manage a first place finish, but in a tournament so tightly contested, every win they managed mattered. The #3 & #4 doubles teams of Megan Syrjala/Nicole Violetta & Brooke Bossert/Katrina Turecky fought hard, losing four sets by a combined nine games only.
Be sure to keep coming back for all of your Negaunee Miners sports coverage! The girls will head to Kingsford on Wednesday, October 1st at 10am. As far as the GNC is concerned, Escanaba & Kingsford (Two teams Negaunee beat this year by a combined score of 14-2) tied for first place in that tournament.
-Carl Leander Johnson