NEGAUNEE, MI – 9/23/2014 –In the last meet before the MPC tournament on Wednesday, the Negaunee Miners girls tennis team pulled out another victory to improve to 10-1-1. The Miners won six out of eight games en route to the victory. As per usual, the singles portion really dominated the meet, winning all four matches by a combined score of 36-8, with one match (#2 singles) being won by default. On the doubles side of things, the Miners continued to grow, as they split that section 2-2. The results are as follows:
- Allison Carlson (Neg) def. Anna Burch (Esky) 6-0, 6-0
- Angie Ring (Neg) def. _______ (Esky) by default
- Dana DeBretto (Neg) def. Kayla Vanportfleet (Esky) 6-4, 6-3
- Allison Ring (Neg) def. Hannah Beversloas (Esky) 6-0, 6-1
- Olivia Berquist & Emily LaFave (Esky) def. Hanna & Elly Kantola (Neg) 6-2, 7-5
- Lauren Anderson & Kassy Harsila (Neg) def. Karlene Robich & Paige Lancour (Esky) 7-5, 6-2
- Megan Syrjala & Nicole Violetta (Neg) def. Karlie Mayville & Taylor Gauthier (Esky) 6-2, 6-7, 7-5
- Olivia LaForest & Angie Lambardi (Esky) def. Brooke Bossert & Katrina Turecky (Neg) 6-1, 6-4
“Escanaba has a good group, so this was a nice win. The girls played well and it was a good match for both teams before the tournaments start. Our #3 doubles pulled out a real tight match, and they’re growing together.”
That’s what head coach Kyle Saari had to say following Monday’s meet.
The Miners will host the MPC tournament tomorrow (Wednesday 9/24) starting at 10am. Get on up to the new courts and show the girls some support! Go Miners!
-Carl Leander Johnson