GWINN, MI – 9/17/2014 –The Negaunee Miners girls tennis team has a long week ahead of them, with matches scheduled on Monday through Thursday. After knocking off the Redettes 7-1, the Miners continued to start the week off right yesterday as they picked up yet another win, this time on the road against the Modeltowners. The Miners didn’t drop a single match, taking the meet 8-0, without even dropping a single game!
Negaunee improves to 7-1-1 on the season and are on a collision course with the U.P. Finals. Coach Kyle Saari’s girls have been putting in the work all season long, and it shows, with the singles continuing to dominate meet after meet and the doubles teams starting to pick up more and more wins as the season progresses. The results for the Miners at the Modeltowners are as follows:
- Allison Carlson (Neg) def. Maddie Forrester (Gwn) 6-0, 6-0
- Angie Ring (Neg) def. Alli Johnson (Gwn) 6-0, 6-0
- Megan Syrjala (Neg) def. Paula Vincent (Gwn) 6-0, 6-0
- Kassy Harsila (Neg) def. —- (Gwn) by default
- Hanna & Elly Kantola (Neg) def. Samantha Bell & LeAnn Brinker (Gwn) 6-0, 6-0
- Dana DeBretto & Lauren Anderson (Neg) def. Manda Humphrey & Makayla Peterson (Gwn) 6-0, 6-0
- Allison Ring & Nicole Violetta (Neg) def. Emily Barnett & Tequila Larson (Gwn) 6-0, 6-0
- Brooke Bossert & Katrina Turecky (Neg) def. Autumn Peterson & Kara Vodry (Gwn) 6-0, 6-0
In his post-match statement, Head Coach Kyle Saari had this to say:
“Megan Syrjala had a good day in her first singles match ever. Also, our #1 doubles picked up the win and has quietly been gaining more confidence.”
As mentioned above, the Miners will continue their season with two more matches this week, weather permitting. The next one is scheduled for 4pm today! This is a home match and will take place at the beautiful new courts up by the high school. GO MINERS!
-Carl Leander Johnson