Fire in Ishpeming


    Great Lakes Radio News UpdateMARQUETTE, MI – (Great Lakes Radio News)Ishpeming firefighters were called out to an apartment building fire yesterday afternoon.

    The fire was called in around 1:30 p.m. from an apartment at 363 W. Johnson Street. Fire crews arriving on the scene found heavy smoke throughout the building, with fire coming from one of the ground floor apartment windows.

    The fire was caused by a lit candle in the lower level unit bedroom. The candle fell onto a bed, igniting the bedding. The apartment was occupied by two small children and their mother at the time. They were able to get out of the building before calling 911 to report the fire.

    The fire was contained within 10 minutes of the fire departments arrival. The fire department remained on scene until about 3 p.m.  It’s believed that a total of 10 persons in 5 apartments were displaced by the fire.

    The Pigs & Heat Fire Relief Fund will be assisting the fire victims along with The American Red Cross.

    Great Lakes Radio – Delivering reliable and accurate local news to you on air, online and on demand


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    19 + 20 =