Chatham, Michigan – March 14, 2021 – Erin Daines of MSUE, Marquette County Extension Office District 2 Director, joined Todd Pazz on the 8th Day Radio Show to discuss the upcoming U.P. Spring Seminar Series Starting on March 16th and the wide array of free services available through Michigan State University Extension offices to people of the Upper Peninsula. People bring in soil samples, critters, photos of bugs, and so on, so the MSUE experts can help the public identify them. Well beyond 4H, the MSUE has educational programs available on a very wide and diverse number of topics.
“Michigan State University Extension helps people improve their lives by bringing the vast knowledge resources of MSU directly to individuals, communities and businesses.”
U.P. Spring Seminar Series 2021
Tuesday evenings at 7 p.m. EST (6 p.m. CST)
March 16 – April 6, 2021
Due to the novel coronavirus, this seminar series will be held virtually through the online video-conferencing platform Zoom. Seminars were selected to address current and continued areas of interest to residents of Michigan’s U.P. – including tourism, sustainable agriculture, lake-effect snow, and water quality.
The agenda is as follows, including tentative presentation titles:
- Tuesday, March 16 at 7 p.m.: Lake-effect snow & climate change in the U.P.
- Dr. Mark Kulie (NOAA Center for Satellite Applications and Research; Madison, WI) & Dr. Claire Pettersen (University of Wisconsin-Madison, Space Science and Engineering Center)
- Tuesday, March 23 at 7 p.m.: Tourism in the Upper Peninsula: Growth and challenges during the pandemic
- Will Cronin (MSU Extension, Tourism & Community Development)
- Tuesday, March 30 at 7 p.m.: PFAS contamination & drinking water – case studies in the U.P.
- Dr. Courtney Carignan (MSU Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition)
- Tuesday, April 6 at 7 p.m.: Sustainable agriculture in the U.P.
- Abbey Palmer (MSU’s Upper Peninsula Research and Extension Center)
Please consider joining us for 4 consecutive weeks of diverse topics and engaging speakers – we look forward to “seeing” you there!