Marquette, MI – November 27, 2018 – Marquette Township sure caught the Christmas Spirit tonight as the community gathered in the Applebee’s parking lot for the annual Tree Lighting Ceremony. Standing at 38 feet with hundreds of dazzling lights, this year’s tree is the biggest yet!
People joined us in the parking lot around 6:00 pm for some classic Christmas tunes on the big stage. We started things off with music from “the Gift 106.1fm” before Northern Lights A Cappella took over to lead everyone in some traditional Christmas carols, followed by the Negaunee Male Chorus.
Hearing reports of the Grinch nearby, Marquette County Sheriff Deputies were on standby. Sure enough, that green Christmas thief couldn’t resist. He crept through the crowd making his way to toward our beautiful tree before his plans were spoiled once again by our friends at the Sheriff’s Department. They arrested that mean ol’ Grinch and saved Christmas, and just in time because Santa was arriving!
Santa gave his reindeer a break and hitched a ride in with a township fire truck for his grand entrance. Making his way through the crowd, Santa said “Hello” to many little boys and girls. With the Grinch locked up, it was time to flip the switch and light up Christmas! The community counted down to zero and Santa powered up the tree. Hundreds of lights flickered on at once and the big star on top shone brightly. With the tree light and sparkling in the dark, it was time to head inside the Westwood Mall to warm up and enjoy some refreshments and entertainment.
While some formed a line for pictures with Santa, others warmed up with fresh coffee and hot chocolate from BIGGBY Coffee. Super One Foods covered dinner with free brats and hot dogs. They also brought cookies and juice as light refreshments! The Honor Credit Union popcorn bags were perfect for snacking on while New Attitudes Dance Studio performed.
Special thanks to Barb and Dave Wiegand for donating this year’s tree and, Applebee’s, Westwood Mall, Super One Foods, BIGGBY Coffee, Honor Credit Union, the Marquette Township Fire Department, the Marquette County Sheriff’s Department, Cedar Motor Inn, Marquette Township Business Association, the Gift 106.1fm and Sunny.FM 101.9!
The Township events committee members Pete LaRue, Randy Girard, Barb Wiegand, Kate Houtz, and Todd Noordyk wish you a very Merry Christmas.
To see photos and a story on setting up this year’s tree, click here.
Listen to the broadcasts that ran morning, afternoon, and evening just before the Christmas Tree Lighting:
- Kate and The Major talk about the Tree Lighting Ceremony tonight at 6p
- Kate and Todd Noordyk chat about the largest tree yet
- Hear about the free food and entertainment at tonight’s Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Listen to Kate and Todd talk about the Grinch
- Kate tells everyone when Santa will be arriving
- Get into the Christmas Spirit with Kate and Todd
- Kate talks about all of the singers coming to carol this evening
- BIGGBY Coffee will be on site with Coffee and Hot Chocolate
- Big thanks to the Westwood Mall for giving us a warm spot to spread the Christmas Cheer
- The Sheriff’s Department is standing by watching out for the Grinch
- Kate has the answers for all of your Tree Lighting Ceremony questions
- There will be four different singing groups at the Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Kate and Todd invite you to join them tonight at the Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Big thanks to everyone how helped make tonight possible