Home Dee Dee Health Tip – June 29 – Dangerous Potatoes

Health Tip – June 29 – Dangerous Potatoes


What may seem like a harmless way to store potatoes may actually be a breeding ground for deadly bacteria.

Researchers investigating an outbreak of botulism in the United States in 1994 traced the source to a bacteria-produced toxin that formed when baked potatoes were stored in aluminum foil at room temperature.

Botulism can cause severe nerve damage and paralysis of both skeletal and respiratory muscles and, in extreme cases, even death.

Researchers recommend avoiding aluminum foil when cooking potatoes unless they are to be eaten or refrigerated immediately.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

eighteen − 6 =